Definition of chert in English:
A hard, dark, opaque rock composed of silica (chalcedony) with an amorphous or microscopically fine-grained texture. It occurs as nodules (flint) or, less often, in massive beds.
- The sedimentary lenses are composed of limestone, sandstone, siltstone, mudstone, shale, chert and well-bedded calci-turbidite.
- It comprises turbiditic elastic rocks with cherts, pillow lavas and greenstones.
- In fact, seventeen of the fifty-seven sites are specifically listed for agate, chalcedony, chert, jasper, or petrified wood.
- Example sentences
- Nevertheless, many tectonic ironstones are rather massive, cherty rocks, suggesting that early structural fabrics were annihilated by late-stage chert replacement.
- These fracture zones occur as parallel layers alternating with cherty lithons, typically 5 mm wide, giving the rock a banded appearance.
- The cherty carbonate rocks are resistant to weathering, and regions underlain by them may stand above the surrounding terrain.
Late 17th century (originally dialect): of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with chertadvert, alert, animadvert, assert, avert, Bert, blurt, Burt, cert, concert, controvert, convert, curt, desert, dessert, dirt, divert, exert, flirt, girt, hurt, inert, insert, introvert, Kurt, malapert, overt, pert, quirt, shirt, skirt, spirt, spurt, squirt, Sturt, subvert, vert, wort, yurt
Definition of chert in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.