1A sofa with padded arms and a back of the same height and curved outward at the top.
- View the contrasting styles: traditional chesterfields, contemporary, class and rustic.
- Come sit here,’ Maggie said, indicating the space beside her on the chesterfield.
- I walk around and pick the blue chesterfield to sit on.
1.1chiefly Canadian Any sofa or couch.
- The fashion and mood of the era are evoked by Willis' third choice, a rust-coloured angular chesterfield with reversible armrests.
- Becca and I walked into a comfortable room with plush chesterfield and warm furniture.
- They were sitting - well, she supposed that up until a moment ago she'd been more sprawled than seated - on the red velvet chesterfield that matched the trim on the oversized leather chairs.
Mid 19th century (sense 2): named after a 19th-century Earl of Chesterfield.
Words that rhyme with chesterfieldwindshield
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.