Definition of chevron in English:
1A line or stripe in the shape of a V or an inverted V, especially one on the sleeve of a uniform indicating rank or length of service.
- On his sleeve was the chevron of a petty officer.
- Along with the Badge of Military Merit in the summer of 1782, Washington also authorized a chevron for enlisted personnel signifying each three years of satisfactory service.
- Those veterans who were authorized by Army Regulations 600-95 to wear wound chevrons could apply for the new award.
1.1 Heraldry An ordinary in the form of a broad inverted V-shape.
- The dining-room of this old house is decorated with a coat of arms, chevrons, and bars rouge upon a field argent, which prove, upon inquiry, to be the shield of Nicholas de la Reynie, a high official of King Louis XIV.
Words that rhyme with chevronrhododendron
Definition of chevron in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.