- A North American titmouse, in particular: the black-capped chickadee (Parus atricapillus), with distinctive black cap and throat, and the similar but smaller Carolina chickadee (P. carolinensis).More example sentences
- Aside from pigeons, chickadees, seagulls, and the occasional bluejay, we city-dwellers don't usually get to see a variety of bird species.
- I thought this was smart since that would save energy, but I'm sure there is some predator defense that works since most chickadees grab a seed and eat it elsewhere.
- There seems to be less of a variety of species now, but the cute chickadees still come by, picking their way through the seeds to get to their favorite sunflower seeds.
mid 19th century: imitative of its call.
More definitions of chickadeeDefinition of chickadee in:
- The British & World English dictionary