Definition of chickaree in English:
A squirrel with red fur, found in the coniferous forests of North America.
- Genus Tamiasciurus, family Sciuridae: three species, including the American red squirrel (T. hudsonicus)
- The trail rambles gently through dry lodgepoles alive with chickarees and golden-mantled ground squirrels.
- Waking up in a bed, in a room, was strangely silent; no birds, no chickarees, no creek rushing by.
- Watch for small mammals such as chickarees, marmots, and rock and golden-mantled ground squirrels.
Early 19th century: imitative of its call.
Words that rhyme with chickareechicory, hickory, Terpsichore, trickery
Definition of chickaree in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.