Definition of chickweed in English:
A small plant of the pink family with deeply cleft white petals, often growing as a garden weed and sometimes eaten by poultry.
- Stellaria, Cerastium, and other genera, family Caryophyllaceae: several species, including common chickweed (S. media), with smooth leaves and stems, and mouse-ear chickweed (C. vulgatum), with hairy leaves and stems
- Some weeds, such as chickweed, common groundsel, and bittercress, may germinate and grow at almost any time of year.
- On the opposite extreme, shallow-rooted ground cover weeds such as ground ivy and chickweed help prevent erosion and prevent soil crusting when dry.
- Again, this is a place to include uncultivated herbs such as dandelion, chicory, chickweed, malva, watercress, nettles and mustard greens.
Definition of chickweed in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan