- 1(The title of) the presiding judge in a supreme court.More example sentences
- The Senate assembles as a court to try the president, with the Supreme Court chief justice acting as a judge without voting powers.
- The Supreme Court chief justice only presides over the trial, he cannot vote when the case is up for resolution.
- It will be presided over by the Supreme Court chief justice, who will act as the judge.
- 1.1 (Chief Justice of the United States) (The formal title of) the chief justice of the US Supreme Court.More example sentences
- The Chief Justice of the United States Supreme Court said: ‘Some current nominees have been waiting a considerable time for a Senate Judiciary Committee vote or a final floor vote.’
- The Senate has confirmed him as Chief Justice of the United States.
- Applications are heard and either denied or granted by a special court composed of seven Federal district court judges designated by the Chief Justice of the United States.