- 1Above all; mainly: he is remembered chiefly for his sonatasMore example sentences
- But one man's obsession with money, chiefly for himself, above spectacle has left the sport barren
- Their disputes were chiefly political, and mainly involved the Soviet Union and the United States hurling accusations of hypocrisy against each other.
- Caesar, too, is remembered chiefly for having become a more or less military dictator.
- 1.1For the most part; mostly: this group has consisted chiefly of conservativesMore example sentences
- Biological products (which consist chiefly of larva-killing bacteria) as well as pesticide chemicals, may be used.
- In recent years, this group has consisted chiefly of conservatives unhappy with what they viewed as an unwarranted expansion of federal authority.
- I once met an Algerian in Blackpool who expressed surprise that England consisted chiefly of carnival rides, ice-cream parlours and amusement arcades.