- A migratory Eurasian and North African leaf warbler with drab plumage.
More example sentences
- Genus Phylloscopus, family Sylviidae: two species, in particular the common P. collybita
- Great-spotted woodpeckers drum while chiffchaffs, blackcaps, chaffinches and wrens sing their hearts out.
- People on the one to two-hour guided walks may also hear warblers such as the blackcap, the garden warbler, the reed warbler, the sedge warbler and the chiffchaff.
- Any other two species with DNA this close (willow warblers and chiffchaffs for instance) are invariably considered members of the same genus.
late 18th century: imitative of its call.
More definitions of chiffchaffDefinition of chiffchaff in:
- The British & World English dictionary