1North American A tall chest of drawers, often with a mirror on top.
- There is an inlaid Victorian display cabinet, an inlaid serpentine chest and an Edwardian chiffonier.
- The chiffonier shown in Plate VI was cleaned for an early exhibition, removing most of the green stain and making Murphy's river landscape panels much more prominent than they were intended to be.
- Ruhlmann rarely used straight lines, preferring gentle curves that were technically difficult to make, such as the bowed front and sloping top on the chiffonier shown in Plate IX.
2British A low cupboard, sometimes with a raised bookshelf on top.
- The seasonable nature of the trade led to the production of much more ambitious pieces of furniture such as tables, cabinets, bureaux and chiffoniers.
- First of all I was ushered into a spacious and well furnished apartment, on one side of which there stood a handsome mahogany case with sliding panels, mounted on a chiffonier.
- Even the double-curved crown felt still rested on the chiffonier.
Mid 18th century: from French chiffonnier, chiffonnière, literally 'ragpicker', also denoting a chest of drawers for odds and ends.
Words that rhyme with chiffonieradhere, Agadir, Anglosphere, appear, arrear, auctioneer, austere, balladeer, bandolier, Bashkir, beer, besmear, bier, blear, bombardier, brigadier, buccaneer, cameleer, career, cashier, cavalier, chandelier, charioteer, cheer, chevalier, clavier, clear, Coetzee, cohere, commandeer, conventioneer, Cordelier, corsetière, Crimea, dear, deer, diarrhoea (US diarrhea), domineer, Dorothea, drear, ear, electioneer, emir, endear, engineer, fear, fleer, Freer, fusilier, gadgeteer, Galatea, gazetteer, gear, gondolier, gonorrhoea (US gonorrhea), Greer, grenadier, hand-rear, hear, here, Hosea, idea, interfere, Izmir, jeer, Judaea, Kashmir, Keir, kir, Korea, Lear, leer, Maria, marketeer, Medea, Meir, Melilla, mere, Mia, Mir, mishear, mountaineer, muleteer, musketeer, mutineer, near, orienteer, pamphleteer, panacea, paneer, peer, persevere, pier, Pierre, pioneer, pistoleer, privateer, profiteer, puppeteer, racketeer, ratafia, rear, revere, rhea, rocketeer, Sapir, scrutineer, sear, seer, sere, severe, Shamir, shear, sheer, sincere, smear, sneer, sonneteer, souvenir, spear, sphere, steer, stere, summiteer, Tangier, tear, tier, Trier, Tyr, veer, veneer, Vere, Vermeer, vizier, volunteer, Wear, weir, we're, year, Zaïre
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of chiffonier in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.