Definition of chigger in English:
1North American A tiny mite whose parasitic larvae live on or under the skin of warm-blooded animals, where they cause irritation and dermatitis and sometimes transmit scrub typhus. Also called harvest mite.
- Genus Trombicula, family Trombiculidae: many species
- Other blood feeding insects or mites that may occasionally be pests of poultry include: chigger mites, biting midges, and black flies (turkey gnats).
- The study for the first time reports a novel animal testing model for evaluating efficacy of repellents against chigger mites.
- Next thing you know, he'll lodge his unequivocal aversion to chigger mites.
2 another term for chigoe.
- Deet protects troops on the ground from mosquitoes, deer ticks, biting flies, chiggers, fleas and other insects.
- Not only does it repel mosquitoes, but it repels ticks, chiggers, fleas, and flies, too.
- Although I have not subjected myself to all of these, the label says that Repel disgusts chiggers, fleas, mosquitoes, ticks, and sand fleas.
Mid 18th century: variant of chigoe.
Words that rhyme with chiggerconfigure, figure, Frigga, jigger, ligger, rigger, rigor, rigour, snigger, swigger, transfigure, trigger, vigour (US vigor)
Definition of chigger in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan