1North American A tiny mite whose parasitic larvae live on or under the skin of warm-blooded animals, where they cause irritation and dermatitis and sometimes transmit scrub typhus. Also called harvest mite.
- Genus Trombicula, family Trombiculidae: many species
- Other blood feeding insects or mites that may occasionally be pests of poultry include: chigger mites, biting midges, and black flies (turkey gnats).
- The study for the first time reports a novel animal testing model for evaluating efficacy of repellents against chigger mites.
- Next thing you know, he'll lodge his unequivocal aversion to chigger mites.
2 another term for chigoe.
- Deet protects troops on the ground from mosquitoes, deer ticks, biting flies, chiggers, fleas and other insects.
- Not only does it repel mosquitoes, but it repels ticks, chiggers, fleas, and flies, too.
- Although I have not subjected myself to all of these, the label says that Repel disgusts chiggers, fleas, mosquitoes, ticks, and sand fleas.
Mid 18th century: variant of chigoe.
Words that rhyme with chiggerconfigure, figure, Frigga, jigger, ligger, rigger, rigor, rigour, snigger, swigger, transfigure, trigger, vigour (US vigor)
Definition of chigger in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.