Definition of chilblain in English:
A painful, itching swelling on the skin, typically on a hand or foot, caused by poor circulation in the skin when exposed to cold.
- As a cream or ointment, it can be applied directly to bruises, sprains, strains, chilblains or painful varicose veins - but only on unbroken skin.
- He carried on working to the end - dressed in the high starched collar and cravat of his youth and dispensing old-fashioned remedies, medicines, and cures which he prepared himself, for ailments as diverse as bronchitis and chilblains.
- To prevent chilblains, avoid exposure to cold.
- Example sentences
- With Spartan fortitude he had to squeeze his chilblained feet into wet socks and soggy boots frozen solid.
- Consequently, this will result in chilblained or frostbitten hands, feet, and ears.
- Just ask the chilblained citizens of Minnesota.
Definition of chilblain in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan