A class of myriapod arthropods that comprises the centipedes.
- This arthropod subphylum includes the Chilopoda, the Diplopoda, the Pauropoda, and the Symphyla.
- P. cinereus and some members of the class Chilopoda occupy the same microhabitat, consume similar types of prey, and are similar in body size.
- Finally, the protNJ tree exhibits a rather different topology, with the Diplopoda as basal clade to all other Arthropoda and the Chilopoda + L. polyphemus sister group of Crustacea + Hexapoda.
- Example sentences
- Major arthropod lines have long been recognized (insects, crustaceans, chelicerates, diplopods, chilopods, etc.), but the phylogenetic relationships among these groups remain controversial.
- Fritsch briefly described two specimens from the Cretaceous of the Czech Republic that he identified as chilopods, one a possible lithobiomorph.
- As with millipedes, we close this general section by addressing the impact of chilopods on humans.
Modern Latin (plural), from Greek kheilos 'lip' + pous, pod- 'foot'.
For editors and proofreaders
Definition of Chilopoda in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.