(also chinch bug)
Definition of chinch in English:
A plant-eating ground bug that forms large swarms on grasses and rushes.
- Two species in the family Lygaeidae, suborder Heteroptera: the American Blissus leucopterus, which is a major pest of cereal crops, and the European Ischnodemus sabuleti
- He chuckles, ‘There's nothing a quail likes as much as a chinch bug.’
- The chinch bug is a native North American insect that can destroy cultivated grass crops, especially sorghum and corn, and occasionally small grains, such as wheat and barley.
- Although chinch bug numbers are not high in most fields, growers should check fields frequently during the next couple of weeks to identify problem fields.
Definition of chinch in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan