Definition of chipmunk in English:
A burrowing ground squirrel with cheek pouches and light and dark stripes running down the body, found in North America and northern Eurasia.
- Genus Tamias, family Sciuridae: many species, including the eastern chipmunk (T. striatus), common in the eastern US
- Small mammals, rats, field and house mice, rabbits, pocket gophers, chipmunks and squirrels make up 80-85 percent of their diet.
- No subject was ever used more than once in the experiments; the total number of subjects involved was 30 chipmunks and 30 deer mice.
- For example, yellow pine chipmunks and deer mice pilfer each other's cached seeds under wet conditions.
mid 19th century: from Ojibwa.
Definition of chipmunk in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan