Definition of chipping sparrow in English:
A common American songbird related to the buntings, with a chestnut crown and a white stripe over the eye.
- Spizella passerina, family Emberizidae (subfamily Emberizinae)
- I can hear the songs of migrating birds: phoebes, white-throated sparrows, towhees, catbirds, chipping sparrows.
- Remember, though, if you think you have 50 song birds daily or 20 chipping sparrows, you should polish your binoculars, review your field guide and take a second look!
- Blue Jays and crows seem to have moved in of late, overpowering the persistent chirps of the chipping sparrows and resident cardinals.
Early 19th century: chipping from chip 'chirp', with reference to the bird's repetitive chirping song.
Definition of chipping sparrow in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.