noun(also chippie) (plural chippies) British
- 1A fish-and-chip shop.More example sentences
- That way you can visit the off licence, the sweet shop and the chippie without wasting energy.
- Simon's shop and a chippy nearby have been targeted for months by a hard-core of about a dozen teenagers bent on making people's lives a misery.
- The shop is the first chippy in the borough to get the Heartbeat Award, given by the council to firms which try to help reduce the risk of coronary heart disease.
- 2A carpenter.More example sentences
- Just remember the chippy's golden rule: check your measurements twice before cutting.
- You can't get this standard of workmanship from the chippies on the site.
- Take a trek to any building site and you'll see them being used by a variety of tradesmen including chippies, sparkies, painters and plumbers.
adjectiveBack to top
- 1(Of a person) touchy and defensive, especially on account of having a grievance or a sense of inferiority.More example sentences
- Without it I had cobbled together a half-baked credo of chippy self-sufficiency and an irritating need to be recognised.
- His 13-year personal relationship with the vocalist of The Cocteaus, was on the rocks and his former drug and alcohol abuse was not making a naturally chippy personality any happier.
- Living on tick, Adam sees nothing for it but to hop back aboard the carousel of fashionable metropolitan parties, while the chippy envy-mongers of the press look on with fascinated horror.
- 1.1North American (Of an ice-hockey game or player) rough and belligerent, with or incurring numerous penalties.More example sentences
- While he won't win many popularity contests, Deadmarsh is respected around the league for his chippy play and will to win.
- Washington will need Haywood to play a similar chippy role in this series.
- It was right on the edge of the area and there was definite contact, but the ref didn't penalise the chippy Irishman.
noun(plural chippies) • informal
- A prostitute or promiscuous young woman.More example sentences
- I started following him and I found out that every night he was meeting this little chippy from The Blue Goose bar.
- She caught me at the bar with some young chippy.
- And now here you are showing off your legs, showing off your chest, dressing like some chippy.