Definition of chiropteran in English:
A mammal of the order Chiroptera; a bat.
- To delve further into this subject, check out our new exhibits on vertebrate flight and chiropteran flight.
- The molecular clock applied herein suggests that the first divergence among chiropterans dates back to approximately 62 MYA.
- Lyssavirus is found naturally among chiropteran and carnivoran mammals and is spread by the exchange of body fluids.
adjectiveBack to top
Relating to or denoting chiropterans.
- The molecular phylogeny presented here is consistent with either two independent origins of echolocation within the chiropteran lineage or a single origin.
- The relaxed Bayesian clock method following the methodology outlined in Matthee et al. was used to date the evolution of the various chiropteran lineages.
- The limitation of using single markers for resolving family-level chiropteran relationships was highlighted by the results obtained from analyses of individual nuclear intron fragments.
Definition of chiropteran in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia