- (Especially of an insect) make a prolonged low trilling sound.More example sentences
- Wood pigeons were churring, providing a steady contra-bass to a splendid dawn chorus, but no more cuckoo.
- In the trees a pair of wood pigeons churred away happily.
- ‘Calm, calm,’ she chirred softly, a finger touching my jaw and hushing my stumbling chatter.
nounBack to top
- A low trilling sound.More example sentences
- One was short, downward inflected, and frequency modulated that we have termed a ‘churr’ (corresponding to the ‘chin’ of Willis 1985).
early 17th century: imitative.
More definitions of chirrDefinition of chirr in:
- The British & World English dictionary