Definition of chivalrous in English:
1(Of a man or his behavior) courteous and gallant, especially toward women.
- His son appeared as ‘this most gallant man and chivalrous prince’ who, at his death in 1376, a year before Edward III himself died, ‘was deeply mourned for his noble qualities’.
- A chivalrous guy who is tall, dark and handsome (yes, the good old TDH) stands tall in his social circle.
- A chivalrous chap, Randall gives the girl a shoulder to cry on, although Hopkirk feels that his corporeal colleague is being perhaps a little too attentive.
1.1Of or relating to the historical notion of chivalry.
- His destiny, he believed, was to be a great historical novelist chronicling chivalrous knights and glorious deeds, and from that viewpoint Holmes was a liability, and his popularity exasperating.
- Arthur unites the disorganized tribes of Britain into a kingdom ruled by chivalrous, noble knights.
- ‘Wu xia’ means chivalrous combat, and ‘pian’ means film.
- Example sentences
- The newspaper reported that the 23-year-old heartthrob popped the question after chivalrously asking for permission from Diaz's parents.
- Each girl's escort is responsible for her, at least for an evening, a convention that forces college boys to see themselves as protectors and to act chivalrously.
- Jianyi chivalrously changes places with Rashid.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan