Definition of chivalrous in English:
1(Of a man or his behavior) courteous and gallant, especially toward women.
- His son appeared as ‘this most gallant man and chivalrous prince’ who, at his death in 1376, a year before Edward III himself died, ‘was deeply mourned for his noble qualities’.
- A chivalrous guy who is tall, dark and handsome (yes, the good old TDH) stands tall in his social circle.
- A chivalrous chap, Randall gives the girl a shoulder to cry on, although Hopkirk feels that his corporeal colleague is being perhaps a little too attentive.
1.1Of or relating to the historical notion of chivalry.
- His destiny, he believed, was to be a great historical novelist chronicling chivalrous knights and glorious deeds, and from that viewpoint Holmes was a liability, and his popularity exasperating.
- Arthur unites the disorganized tribes of Britain into a kingdom ruled by chivalrous, noble knights.
- ‘Wu xia’ means chivalrous combat, and ‘pian’ means film.
- Example sentences
- The newspaper reported that the 23-year-old heartthrob popped the question after chivalrously asking for permission from Diaz's parents.
- Each girl's escort is responsible for her, at least for an evening, a convention that forces college boys to see themselves as protectors and to act chivalrously.
- Jianyi chivalrously changes places with Rashid.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.