Definition of chloral in English:
1A colorless, viscous liquid made by chlorinating acetaldehyde.
- More preferably, the halogen-containing aldehyde, acetal or hemiacetal is selected from trichloroethanal, 2,2, 2-trichloro - 1-ethoxy ethanol and mixtures thereof.
- When dissolved in water, trichloroethanal exists primarily in its hydrate form, chloral hydrate (commonly known as ‘knock-out drops’).
- DDT is produced from the chlorobenzene and trichloroethanal (trichloroacetaldehyde or chloral), which react in the presence of concentrated sulfuric acid.
1.1 short for chloral hydrate.
- Up to his neck in the reputedly healing waters, Daudet read Montaigne; and in private consumed huge amounts of morphine, chloral and bromide in an attempt to palliate his excruciating pains.
- He had given up painting in 1878 and existed in the bohemian squalor of his Chelsea mansion, in a state of deep melancholy, sustained by a diet of 180 grains of chloral a day, washed down with whisky.
- Depressed about losing Lucy, he considers taking chloral to sleep, but decides against it.
Mid 19th century: from French, blend of chlore 'chlorine' and alcool 'alcohol'.
Definition of chloral in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.