Definition of chlorinate in English:
verb[with object] (usually as adjective chlorinated)
1Impregnate or treat with chlorine: chlorinated water
More example sentences
- The coolant water should be chlorinated to approximately 125 parts per million of chlorine to protect the asparagus from decay organisms.
- In general, it would be good for you to check the hardness of your water, whether or not your tap water is chlorinated, and maintain low ammonia/nitrite levels.
- Avoid swimming in fresh water unless it is chlorinated.
1.1 Chemistry Introduce chlorine into (a compound).
- But existing controls on certain persistent toxins such as DDT and chlorinated hydrocarbons had begun to prove effective in European and American waters.
- In the presence of organic matter, chlorinated hydrocarbons, which are suspected carcinogens, may be formed.
- Some other chlorinated hydrocarbons were banned in 1975.
- Example sentences
- Interaction of Cl 2 with oxides of nitrogen may also occur, causing the chlorination and nitration of various amino acid residues, particularly tyrosine.
- Simple organohalogens may be produced synthetically from the radical chlorination / bromination of saturated alkanes.
- Hydrogen sulfide may be reduced or removed by shock chlorination, water heater modification, activated carbon filtration, oxidizing filtration or oxidizing chemical injection.
- Example sentences
- Contracts were for purification chemicals, chlorinators, chemical dosing pumps, water tankers and other water industry related items.
- For instance, a town of 7,000 might have a sewage plant containing four pumps, sludge thickeners, and a chlorinator.
- They are called erosion and pellet chlorinators.
Definition of chlorinate in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan