- The chemical element of atomic number 17, a toxic, irritant, pale green gas. (Symbol: Cl)
A member of the halogen group, chlorine occurs in nature mainly as sodium chloride in seawater and salt deposits. The gas was used as a poison gas in World War I. Chlorine is added to water supplies as a disinfectantMore example sentences
- The blue was fading to a dull chlorine green, the fuchsia sprouting roots of over an inch.
- The green chlorine gas rolled over the Allied frontline and it created panic.
- Once chlorine has combined with other chemicals it is not effective as a disinfectant.
early 19th century: named by Sir Humphrey Davy, from Greek khlōros 'green' + -ine4.
More definitions of chlorineDefinition of chlorine in:
- The British & World English dictionary