- A dark green mineral consisting of a basic hydrated aluminosilicate of magnesium and iron. It occurs as a constituent of many metamorphic rocks, typically forming flat crystals resembling mica.More example sentences
- The clay minerals illite, chlorite and montmorillonite were identified within the palaeosols by X-ray diffraction.
- These planes, referred to as slaty cleavage, are caused by the rearrangement of minerals such as mica, chlorite, and clay within the rock.
- No metamorphic mineral growth, besides chlorite and white mica growth and quartz recrystallization, is found within the matrix of the melange, precluding burial to significant depths.
- More example sentences
- The fragments are angular and the feldspar fragments fresh, although there are considerable amounts of chloritic alteration products.
- Shallow pits were excavated, and several small datolite nodules were recovered that had a somewhat almond shape and a dark black chloritic rind.
- This datolite conforms to the outline of the vesicles, and the rim or rinds of the masses are semismooth and usually coated with a dark green to black chloritic mineral.
late 18th century: via Latin from Greek khlōritis, a green precious stone.
- A salt of chlorous acid, containing the anion ClO2.More example sentences
- Furthermore, GAC filtration has been reported to efficiently remove chlorites.
- Sodium chlorite, hypochlorite, perborate, and peroxide are used to bleach paper, cotton, and rayon.
- Thus, perchlorate ion is a stronger oxidant than chlorate ion, followed by chlorite ion and hypochlorite ion.