Definition of chloroform in English:
A colorless, volatile, sweet-smelling liquid used as a solvent and formerly as a general anesthetic.
- The methanol extract was evaporated and partitioned with n-hexane, benzene, trichloromethane, ethyl acetate and n-butanol, consecutively.
- In a first step, the two lipids were dissolved in chloroform and the solvent evaporated under vacuum overnight.
- These chemicals were mostly chlorinated solvents such as chloroform.
verb[with object] Back to top
Render (someone) unconscious with chloroform.
- Somebody sneaks in and chloroforms you, or sprays knock-out gas under your door, and while you are comatose and unresisting, your worldly goods are stripped.
- Nothing to report for today, because it's a day of duty - I work at home on Mondays, and since this means chloroforming the baby and locking the dog in the garage, there are no heartwarming tales.
- He chloroformed me’ she continued, and her eyes widened in comprehension as Jackson shot her a furtive glance, then glanced over at the nurse, who was listening to the exchange with interest.
Words that rhyme with chloroformcairngorm • sandstorm
Definition of chloroform in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan