- (In green plant cells) a plastid that contains chlorophyll and in which photosynthesis takes place.More example sentences
- Fluorescence of guard cell chloroplasts was imaged when plants were at approximately the six-leaf stage.
- As Zeiger et al. have recently emphasized, guard cell chloroplasts show remarkable functional plasticity.
- Even in the late stages of leaf senescence, the chloroplasts of guard cells remain green and functional.
late 19th century: coined in German from Greek khlōros 'green' + plastos 'formed'.
More definitions of chloroplastDefinition of chloroplast in:
- The British & World English dictionary