Definition of chlorosis in English:
1 Botany Abnormal reduction or loss of the normal green coloration of leaves of plants, typically caused by iron deficiency in lime-rich soils, or by disease or lack of light.
- Like their plant-sucking cousins, whiteflies pierce leaf tissues causing noticeable wilting, chlorosis, loss of leaves and/or stunted growth.
- At the end of the experimental period leaves of these plants showed symptoms of chlorosis.
- Iron deficiency is characterized by an interveinal chlorosis of young leaves while the veins remain green.
2 Medicine Anemia caused by iron deficiency, especially in adolescent girls, causing a pale, faintly greenish complexion. It was a common diagnosis in the 19th century.
- Victims of chlorosis were usually maidens in their middle teens.
- Between 1870 and 1920, chlorosis, a form of anemia, was widely reported in female adolescents in the United States.
- Example sentences
- In A. thaliana, the iron signal showed a progressive increase from healthy non-infected leaves to green areas of infected leaves and to chlorotic areas of infected leaves.
- However, the combination of glucose and ABA caused an inhibition of early wild-type seedling growth that resulted in underdeveloped plantlets that were chlorotic and anthocyanic.
- The team was first formed in the 1960s in response to a dual epidemic of maize chlorotic dwarf virus and a potyvirus, maize dwarf mosaic virus, that devastated Ohio's cornfields.
Pronunciation: /kləˈrädik/ /klôˈrädik/adjective
Words that rhyme with chlorosisapotheosis, cirrhosis, diagnosis, halitosis, hypnosis, kenosis, meiosis, metempsychosis, misdiagnosis, mononucleosis, myxomatosis, necrosis, neurosis, osmosis, osteoporosis, prognosis, psittacosis, psychosis, sclerosis, symbiosis, thrombosis, toxoplasmosis, trichinosis, tuberculosis
Definition of chlorosis in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan