Definition of chokeberry in English:
noun (plural chokeberries)
1A North American shrub of the rose family, with white flowers and red autumn foliage, cultivated as an ornamental.
- Genus Aronia, family Rosaceae: several species, especially the red chokeberry (A. arbutifolia), purple chokeberry (A. floribunda), and black chokeberry (A. melanocarpa), each named for the color of its fruits
- Other shrubs with showy berries include viburnum species, firethorn, Aucuba japonica, barberry, cotoneaster, chokeberry and Skimmia japonica.
- These included such hardy species as red chokeberry, buttonbush, spicebush and red twig dogwood.
- Shrubs - witch hazel, chokeberry, hydrangea, blueberry, sumac - added to the strange verisimilitude.
Definition of chokeberry in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India