noun (plural chokeberries)
- 1A North American shrub of the rose family, with white flowers and red autumn foliage, cultivated as an ornamental.
More example sentences
- Genus Aronia, family Rosaceae: several species, especially the red chokeberry (A. arbutifolia), purple chokeberry (A. floribunda), and black chokeberry (A. melanocarpa), each named for the color of its fruits
- Other shrubs with showy berries include viburnum species, firethorn, Aucuba japonica, barberry, cotoneaster, chokeberry and Skimmia japonica.
- These included such hardy species as red chokeberry, buttonbush, spicebush and red twig dogwood.
- Shrubs - witch hazel, chokeberry, hydrangea, blueberry, sumac - added to the strange verisimilitude.
More definitions of chokeberryDefinition of chokeberry in:
- The British & World English dictionary