- A Jewish Sabbath dish of slowly baked meat and vegetables, prepared on a Friday and cooked overnight.More example sentences
- Today, new businesses could sell tofu, miso, felafel, soy burgers, and vegetarian cholent (Sabbath hot dish).
- Remember the most fitting epigram on a hearty Sabbath dinner of cholent, first spoken by the brother of my grandfather's second wife: ‘That was delicious.’
- It was therefore the food of the Ashkenazi - chopped liver and gefilte fish, salt beef and latkes, cholent and borscht - which predominated there for many years.
from Yiddish tsholnt.
More definitions of cholentDefinition of cholent in:
- The British & World English dictionary