Definition of cholesterol in English:
A compound of the sterol type found in most body tissues, including the blood and the nerves. Cholesterol and its derivatives are important constituents of cell membranes and precursors of other steroid compounds, but high concentrations in the blood (mainly derived from animal fats in the diet) are thought to promote atherosclerosis.
- Chemical formula: C27H45OH
- Nephrotic syndrome also features abnormally high levels of blood cholesterol.
- They contain a soluble fiber that mops up the precursors of cholesterol in the body.
- I didn't know what good cholesterol was and bad cholesterol and what the numbers were supposed to be.
Late 19th century: from Greek kholē 'bile' + stereos 'stiff' + -ol.
Definition of cholesterol in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.