Definition of chopper in English:
1A short ax with a large blade.
- The word is also often applied to a fire engine, equipped with a number of burly men wielding choppers.
- They could make simple stone axes and choppers, and had brains about two-thirds the size of ours.
- The stone tools found with the hominid remains at Dmanisi, however, are simple choppers and scrapers similar to the Oldowan set found in the Olduvai Gorge, Tanzania.
1.2A device for regularly interrupting an electric current or a beam of light or particles.
- It was a modified television vidicon tube with a TGS target, electron beam readout, a germanium lens, and a light chopper.
- The data on all the pixels obtained by a CCD at one exposure are read while using a light chopper, and the data on the odd lines are stored in a first memory and the data on the even lines are stored in a second memory.
- The beam line will consist of neutron guides, choppers, secondary shutters and shielding, along with the necessary utilities and safety and radiation protection equipment.
1.3 (choppers) informal Teeth.
- The Sonicare cleans your choppers with sound waves that produce 31,000 brush strokes per minute.
- A standard set of 16 veneers over dingy old teeth, and the homely are transformed with instant white choppers.
- You're not a bad person for finding comfort in thumb-sucking, but you are permanently damaging your choppers.
2 informal A helicopter.
- Great North Air Ambulance paramedic John Kerr said that although conditions on the helicopter were cramped, the chopper's small size meant that it could land on a piece of ground the size of a tennis court.
- After a half-day's delay, the choppers returned to Kulis.
- Several Ranger and Delta elements of the attack force immediately secured the area around the chopper.
3 informal A motorcycle, especially one with high handlebars and the front-wheel fork extended forward.
- I also wonder why the police don't take a little more interest in the crazy foreigners who rent the huge chopper style motorcycles and who use the road as a drag strip.
- The father-of-three was fascinated by choppers, the low seated motorcycles made famous in the film Easy Rider, since being a teenager.
- The games, to be published under the Activision Value Brand, will draw inspiration from the show's depiction of a father and son who build chopper motorcycles in their garage.
4 Baseball A batted ball that makes a high bounce after hitting the ground in fair territory: Bell followed with a high chopper to the third baseman
More example sentences
- MacDougal exacerbated the situation by hesitantly fielding Coco Crisp's chopper and airmailing it wide of first base, putting runners on second and third.
- It began innocently enough, with a Manny Ramirez chopper to the first-base side of the mound.
- Clemente swung with all his might but hit a soft high chopper over the pitcher's head which rolled toward the second baseman and skipped off his glove.
Words that rhyme with chopperbopper, copper, cropper, Dopper, dropper, hopper, improper, Joppa, poppa, popper, proper, shopper, stopper, swapper, topper, whopper
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan