Definition of chosen people in English:
1The Jewish people considered (in Jewish and Christian tradition) as having been selected by God for a special relationship with him.
- Originally a secular movement, Zionism has its foundation in the Millenarian belief that the Jews, the chosen people of God, will be reunited from diaspora (dispersion or exile) in their rightful homeland.
- We need to stand together and remain the chosen people.
- He is preaching to Israel, God's chosen people, those who worshiped at the temple and synagogue and believed in the God of Abraham.
1.1(In Christian use) those destined for salvation; believing Christians.
- In the new covenant introduced by Jesus, we have all become God's chosen people, called to spread the marvelous truth of his love to the world.
- God's chosen people become willing in the day of His power.
- We are all a chosen people, beloved of God, redeemed by the blood of Christ.
Definition of chosen people in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan