- A black Eurasian and North African bird of the crow family, with a down-curved bill and broad rounded wings, typically frequenting mountains and sea cliffs.
More example sentences
- Genus Pyrrhocorax, family Corvidae: three species, especially the red-billed chough (P. pyrrhocorax), with a long red bill, and the alpine chough (P. graculus), with a shorter yellow bill
- The sea stretches out before them and on a clear day, the shores of Ireland can be seen and brimming with wildlife it is not unusual to spot the rare chough, wild mountain goats or a seal in the sea nearby.
- Stackpole is also home to the chough, a much rarer bird.
- The Dingle Peninsula has been highlighted as an international stronghold for an endangered Irish bird, the distinctive red-billed chough.
Middle English (originally denoting the jackdaw): probably imitative.
More definitions of choughDefinition of chough in:
- The British & World English dictionary