Definition of chough in English:
A black Eurasian and North African bird of the crow family, with a down-curved bill and broad rounded wings, typically frequenting mountains and sea cliffs.
- Genus Pyrrhocorax, family Corvidae: three species, especially the red-billed chough (P. pyrrhocorax), with a long red bill, and the alpine chough (P. graculus), with a shorter yellow bill
- The sea stretches out before them and on a clear day, the shores of Ireland can be seen and brimming with wildlife it is not unusual to spot the rare chough, wild mountain goats or a seal in the sea nearby.
- Stackpole is also home to the chough, a much rarer bird.
- The Dingle Peninsula has been highlighted as an international stronghold for an endangered Irish bird, the distinctive red-billed chough.
Middle English (originally denoting the jackdaw): probably imitative.
Definition of chough in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan