Definition of chow in English:
1 informal Food.
- Here was the Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces, in a combat zone on Thanksgiving day, serving chow to his soldiers.
- It was midday local time, hundreds of troops were tucking into well-earned chow.
- The Triple Rock Social Club has been serving up booze and chow on the West Bank since 1998.
2 (also chow chow) A dog of a sturdy Chinese breed with a broad muzzle, a tail curled over the back, a bluish-black tongue, and typically a dense thick coat.
- A study of 178 dog-bite cases reported to Denver animal control officials in 1991 revealed that German shepherds and chow chows were the dogs most likely to bite.
- The real dog is worth £750 apparently, a lot for a chow.
- That dog was the chow, and ever since chows have had blue tongues.
verbNorth American informal Back to top
Eat: [no object]: he chowed down on lobster [with object]: lions chow down their kills
More example sentences
- She should know - as an exchange student from France to the U.S. during high school, Guiliano gained 20 pounds chowing down on McDonalds and other lynchpins of the American diet.
- I often went dancing with my parents and their friends on Saturday nights and we'd wind up at the local truck stop or in someone's kitchen at 2 or 3 o'clock in the morning chowing down.
- My second day at my current place of employment, I was happily chowing down on some fried chicken in the shared kitchen when the co-founder came up behind me and stared at my plate.
Late 19th century: shortened from chow chow.
Words that rhyme with chowallow, avow, Bilbao, Bissau, bough, bow, bow-wow, brow, cacao, ciao, cow, dhow, Dow, endow, Foochow, Frau, Hangzhou, Hough, how, Howe, kowtow, Lao, Liao, Macao, Macau, miaow, Mindanao, mow, now, ow, Palau, plough (US plow), pow, prow, row, scow, Slough, sough, sow, Tao, thou, vow, wow, Yangshao
Definition of chow in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan