Definition of chow chow in English:
2 (also chow-chow) A Chinese preserve of ginger, orange peel, and other ingredients, in syrup.
- So next time you get the craving for yams, sweet potatoes, chow chow, papaya, cassava, fresh chillis, or just want five kilos of King Edwards, give Surrey Street a try and help to maintain one of the town's greatest experiences.
- Chow chow is an important ingredient when making Sri Lankan fruit cake.
- Chow chow preserves can be purchased at Chinese groceries or specialty food stores.
3 (also chow-chow) A mixed vegetable pickle.
- Chow chows can be made from cabbage, green tomatoes, cucumbers, cauliflower, corn, onions, peppers, vinegar, salt, turmeric, and a sweetener.
- In the south, and particularly in the mountains where they grow huge heads of crisp cabbage, chow chow is a favorite relish to be eaten with a bowl of pinto beans.
- Southerners serve chow chow with beans, peas and greens and as an all-purpose relish with meat, poultry and fish.
Late 18th century: pidgin English, of unknown ultimate origin.
Definition of chow chow in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.