The separation of a mixture by passing it in solution or suspension or as a vapor (as in gas chromatography) through a medium in which the components move at different rates.
More example sentences
- Amino acid analyses were carried out by ion exchange chromatography on sulphonated polystyrene resin linked to divinyl benzene.
- Using high pressure liquid chromatography, the alkaloids can be purified and crystallized.
- If the stationary phase is solid, the separation process is called adsorption chromatography.
- More example sentences
- Once the structure of an organic species has been identified, the presence of the molecule in other samples can be detected by using spectroscopic patterns or chromatographic characteristics of the compound.
- During this time he developed a simple chromatographic assay for imidazole compounds accumulating in histidine-requiring Neurospora mutants, which allowed him to deduce much of the histidine biosynthetic pathway.
- Modern methods for measuring molecular weight include chromatographic methods and mass spectrometry.
Definition of chromatography in:
- The British & World English dictionary