- An instrument for measuring time, especially one designed to keep accurate time in spite of motion or variations in temperature, humidity, and air pressure. Chronometers were first developed for marine navigation, being used in conjunction with astronomical observation to determine longitude.More example sentences
- The process of mapping itself, now much more accurate thanks to Britain's invention of the chronometer for measuring longitude, allowed the British to perceive the globe as an integrated whole.
- Preuss pocketed the chronometer and clutched his notebook.
- And one might think initially they didn't do that because they didn't have the instruments, they didn't have the precise chronometers.
More definitions of chronometerDefinition of chronometer in:
- The British & World English dictionary