- A beetle of a family (Chrysomelidae) that comprises the leaf beetles and their relatives.More example sentences
- This is consistent with recent studies on chrysomelid beetles and ichneumonoid Hymenoptera and may reflect a highly conserved structure across Holometabola.
- Larvae of the chrysomelid, Blepharida schlechtendalii, bite the midrib of Bursera schlechtendalii to stop the flow of resins going to the leaf.
- It was also in August that the first chrysomelids were found in France, around the Paris-area airports at Roissy, Orly, and Le Bourget, where the authorities had installed pheromone traps.
late 19th century: from modern Latin Chrysomelidae (plural), from Chrysomela (genus name), from Greek khrusomēlon, literally 'golden apple', influenced by khrusomēlolonthion 'little golden chafer'.
More definitions of chrysomelidDefinition of chrysomelid in:
- The British & World English dictionary