- 1An Old World sedge that yields an edible tuber. It is cultivated on a small scale, particularly in some marshy regions of Spain and Italy. Also called earth almond.
More example sentences
- Cyperus esculentus variety sativus, family Cyperaceae
- And because of their hardy nature, a plot of chufas will last for years in poor soil as well as fertilized fields.
- Today he has six chufa plots and credits chufas with holding more birds on his land.
- Wild turkeys will destroy a food plot containing chufas if the grazing pressure is too high.
- 1.1The tuber of the chufa plant, which may be roasted, made into flour, or turned into juice.More example sentences
- Archaeologists have even found vases of chufas in the tombs of Pharaohs.
- Now put the chufas in a blender until they turn into a soft paste.
- Horchata de chufas is a traditional drink based on the juice obtained from mashed chufas (tiger nuts).
mid 19th century: from Spanish.
More definitions of chufaDefinition of chufa in:
- The British & World English dictionary