(also sweet cicely)
noun (plural cicelies)
- An aromatic white-flowered plant of the parsley family, with fernlike leaves.
More example sentences
- Genera Myrrhis and Osmorhiza, family Umbelliferae: several species, in particular the European M. odorata, grown as a pot herb and used in herbal medicine, and the North American O. claytoni
- The sweet cicely, which I have always had in the bed in front of the dining room, is in flower again.
- The root of sweet cicely can be boiled and eaten.
- One of the first herbs to appear in the spring, sweet cicely makes a becoming backdrop to a perennial border.
late 16th century: from Latin seselis, from Greek. The spelling change was due to association with the given name Cicely.
More definitions of cicelyDefinition of cicely in:
- The British & World English dictionary