- A perchlike freshwater fish of a family (Cichlidae) that is widely distributed in tropical countries. Cichlids provide a valuable source of food in some areas, and many are popular in aquariums.More example sentences
- Blue acara cichlids and guppies were obtained from a local aquarium fish supplier and were therefore of unknown origin.
- The cichlids have evolved an astonishing array of forms in Africa.
- Many feeding behaviors found in cichlids are unique among freshwater fishes.
late 19th century: from modern Latin Cichlidae (plural), from Greek kikhlē, denoting a kind of fish.
More definitions of cichlidDefinition of cichlid in:
- The British & World English dictionary