Definition of cilice in English:
1A hair shirt.
- The cilice mentioned in the novel is a thigh-mounted type, but i guess the original cilices were coarse hairy shirts.
- In the evening we keep pious conversation while attending to pious works such as making rosaries, cilices and repairing books.
- Nuns of some religious orders wear a hair cloth or cilice next their skin.
1.1A spiked garter or other device worn by penitents and ascetics.
- His descriptions of the practice of corporal mortification is also inaccurate, as is his representation of the cilice and the discipline.
- The cilice creates a minor leg irritation which is intended to be a reminder of Christ's suffering.
- I don't fancy that 'cilice' very much.
Words that rhyme with ciliceamaryllis, Dilys, fillis, Phyllis
Definition of cilice in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.