Definition of cinematheque in English:
1A motion-picture library or archive.
- The National Archives, the National Library and individual cinematheques were doing preservation work, but it was all government-funded.
- From the early 1990s, the director campaigned to create a cinematheque on the site of the museum's car park.
- It's dredged up from the imaginary cinematheque of Maddin's own mind.
2A small movie theater, especially one that shows avant-garde or classic movies.
- I saw the film at the Film Forum, which is a kind of cinematheque with a hip, sophisticated young audience, downtown.
- A daily cinematheque showcases other films Conner selected, and in some cases re-edited, for this exhibition.
- I hope to get a small distributor and look forward to lots of festival, cinematheque and museum screenings with small but appreciative audiences.
1960s: from French cinémathèque, from cinéma 'cinema', on the pattern of bibliothèque 'library'.
Definition of cinematheque in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.