1A widely distributed herbaceous plant of the rose family, with compound leaves of five leaflets and five-petaled yellow flowers.
- Genus Potentilla, family Rosaceae: numerous species, including the small-flowered creeping common cinquefoil (P. simplex) and the larger-flowered erect rough-fruited cinquefoil (P. recta)
More example sentences
- One of these plants, Robbins' cinquefoil or dwarf cinquefoil, has been proposed for removal from the federal endangered species list.
- If you have a toothache or mouth sore, you might try cinquefoil, a native plant.
- Deciduous cinquefoil has long been used for borders and ground covers in cold-climate gardens.
Middle English: from Latin quinquefolium, from quinque 'five' + folium 'leaf'.
Definition of cinquefoil in:
- The British & World English dictionary