(abbreviation: cir. or circ.)
- 1A roughly circular line, route, or movement that starts and finishes at the same place: I ran a circuit of the village
- 2An established itinerary of events or venues used for a particular activity, typically involving public performance: the alternative cabaret circuitMore example sentences
- A growing theatre company is developing its circuit of rural venues by bringing a piece of contemporary dynamite to local stages.
- She secured the coveted title of Sports Personality of the Year based on her outstanding performances on the international circuit last year.
- The comedian has been a regular performer at major venues on the national circuit.
- 2.1A series of athletic exercises performed consecutively in one training session: [as modifier]: circuit trainingMore example sentences
- If your hotel has a fitness center, this is the day to add a light circuit of resistance training to work all your muscles.
- There will also be a five-week circuit training course beginning on January 12.
- Performing a circuit workout once or twice a week will at least keep you in the habit of training.
- 2.2A regular journey made by a judge around a particular district to hear cases in court: [as modifier]: a circuit judgeMore example sentences
- The circuit court judge who heard the case at trial directed the jury to find for the plaintiff.
- A neighbours' squabble over late-night noise ended in court before a circuit judge, 12 jurors and two barristers.
- It was the kind of decision that the liberal judges on the circuit normally ask the court to rehear.
- 2.3A district administered or formerly administered by traveling judges.More example sentences
- The country was divided by Henry II into six judicial circuits for the purpose of bringing royal justice to all regions.
- Six tourism circuits will be identified for development to international standards during 2002-03.
- The commissioners were major lay and ecclesiastical lords with only small landholdings in the shires of the circuit.
- 2.4A group of local Methodist churches forming an administrative unit.More example sentences
- There are other churches on the Methodist circuit in Accrington so there might be other people in other churches prepared to help.
- The cathedral is set to be packed for the service, with all tickets already distributed through deaneries and Methodist circuits.
- There are currently around 11 Methodist churches in the Keighley circuit.
- 2.5A chain of theaters or nightclubs under a single management.More example sentences
- In more than 20 years of studying the Odeon cinema circuit, he had seen this kind of scenario enacted many times.
- 3A complete and closed path around which a circulating electric current can flow.More example sentences
- He had learned that an inductance coil was a closed circuit with no current of its own.
- When the charges connect, effectively closing a circuit, electric energy flows along that jagged path.
- When air is brought into contact with the second electrode, current flows through any circuit linking the two electrodes.
- 3.1A system of electrical conductors and components forming a complete and closed path.More example sentences
- She cannot list the major components in an electrical circuit even though they were described in the chapter.
- Power electronics technology uses electronic circuits to convert and control electric energy with optimum efficiency.
- The components of the circuit are checked against specific parameters.
verb[with object] Back to top
- Move all the way around (a place or thing): the trains will follow the northern line, circuiting the capitalMore example sentences
- You will accompany me as we backtrack through art's history, before circuiting the globe in pursuit of art's diverse manifestations.
- There is a railway with model trains circuiting the room.
- An American couple, circuiting the perimeter, had just visited HMS Britannia.
late Middle English: via Old French from Latin circuitus, from circuire, variant of circumire 'go around', from circum 'around' + ire 'go'.