nounNorth American • historical
- A clergyman who traveled on horseback from church to church, especially within a rural Methodist circuit.More example sentences
- My great-grandfather was a Methodist circuit rider in Texas.
- He'd learned that a Baptist circuit rider had spoken out against phrenology, calling it an enemy of Christian religion.
- And in the 1770s, circuit riders such as the Reverend Devereux Jarrett organized thousands into Methodist societies, mostly in Maryland and Virginia.
More definitions of circuit riderDefinition of circuit rider in:
- The British & World English dictionary