Definition of circulate in English:
- A titer test doesn't measure immunity, but it does measure antibodies circulating in the system.
- But some testosterone remains freely circulating in the bloodstream.
- Some rogue pathogens seem to be freely circulating in that county.
- The manuscript had been circulated among various publishers, most of whom shied away from this provocative treatment of a sensitive subject.
- Local people said that whistles and horns were circulated among the community for the scaled-down protest.
- Rumours that an entrepreneur may buy the doomed factory have been circulating among workers and the local business community.
Late 15th century (as an alchemical term meaning 'distill something in a closed container, allowing condensed vapor to return to the original liquid'): from Latin circulat- 'moved in a circular path', from the verb circulare, from circulus 'small ring' (see circle). sense 1 dates from the mid 17th century.
- Example sentences
- The present review is dealing with circulative transmission of plant viruses.
- Since the circulative pathway of most insect vectored viruses is similar, our findings should be applicable to other virus-vector systems.
- Afterward the work fluid is transported back to the first chamber through the second pipe using the porous structures thereof, thus forming a circulative cooling apparatus.
- Example sentences
- The group took Reactor 1 at the nuclear power station out of service yesterday to investigate vibrations on one of the gas circulators.
- Over the previous two weeks, petition circulators collected more than 5,000 signatures.
- Vornado is dedicated to building the best air comfort product, including air circulators, vintage fans, air softening humidifiers and air purifiers.
Words that rhyme with circulateundulate • pustulate
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.