Definition of circumcise in English:
1Cut off the foreskin of (a young boy or man, especially a baby) as a religious rite, especially in Judaism and Islam, or as a medical treatment.
- Shemot Rabbah tells us that the Jews ceased circumcising their sons to blend in better with their Egyptian hosts.
- As a mother, over time I have come to regret that my son was circumcised.
- My wife Devorah and I were resolute about our decision not to circumcise our son.
2(As a practice traditional in some cultures) partially or totally remove the external genitalia of (a girl or young woman) for nonmedical reasons.
- The Shija female initiation ceremony was performed after the young women were circumcised.
- Particular ethnic groups circumcise their women during pregnancy, when they are in labour or when they have given birth to their first child.
- The colonial authorities had arrested a woman for circumcising her daughter.
Words that rhyme with circumciseexercise • metastasize
Definition of circumcise in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan