- 1The action or practice of circumcising a young boy or man.More example sentences
- Ever since Abraham, circumcision was the way Jews marked their covenant with God.
- Brit Milah, or circumcision, is performed on a Jewish male eight days after he is born.
- In the past, young boys underwent ritual circumcision at a relatively late age.
- 1.1 (Circumcision) (In church use) the feast of the Circumcision of Jesus, January 1.More example sentences
- New Years is still observed as the Feast of Christ's Circumcision by some denominations.
- Most secular celebrations also are tied to religious holidays, like Christmas or New Year's (the Circumcision of Jesus).
- 2The action or practice of circumcising a girl or young woman; female circumcision.More example sentences
- The programme has also helped to cut down the number of young girls lined up for circumcision in the area this year.
- An Australian couple has appeared in court for allegedly organising an illegal circumcision of their one-year-old baby girl in Indonesian province of Bali.
- Circumcision deprives girls of much of their ability to experience sexual pleasure.
Middle English: from late Latin circumcisio(n-), from the verb circumcidere (see circumcise).
More definitions of circumcisionDefinition of circumcision in:
- The British & World English dictionary