Wary and unwilling to take risks: the officials were very circumspect in their statements
More example sentences
- The difference between us is that you write like a bombastic lecturer and not like a prudent and circumspect lawyer.
- On theology they enjoy precedence over politicians; on politics they should be circumspect.
- They were circumspect, typically observing the dog from a distance.
cautious, wary, careful, chary, guarded, on one's guard;
watchful, alert, attentive, heedful, vigilant, leery
informal cagey, playing one's cards close to one's chest
- Example sentences
- If you are observant you can get little glimpses into their lives by watching and listening circumspectly.
- He began circumspectly, prodding tentatively at the few balls he faced.
- Let me put it as circumspectly as I can - the government is culpable, and not just for incompetence.
Late Middle English: from Latin circumspectus, from circumspicere 'look around', from circum 'around, about' + specere 'look'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.